Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Guilt Free Healthy and Nutrient Filled Homemade Pizzas

Eric and I have a couple we are very close with who are even better and wiser to healthy eating than us. This friend is where I get a lot of my inspiration for this awesome lifestyle. She has given me much education and many wonderful ways to treat my body well with food. We had them over recently for dinner and play time for our babies. It came up in conversation that once a week her and her husband make their own little pizzas. Eric and I raised our eyebrows with surprising delight and the wheels started turning. I am always looking for exciting new recipes to keep it interesting. So I promised Eric I would do this. I have done it before when I still lived with my parents so I already had an inkling of how to healthfully make us our pizzas.

One little problem. I am TERRIBLE at making anything with a dough. I once attempted rolls. They were like flour covered hard dough balls. I made a chicken pot pie crust ( a healthy one) having successfully achieved one 3 times, but the most recent one was quite crumbly and not nearly enough of it to cover the vegetables; though it still tasted delicious at least. So, it is always a toss up when it comes to me making crusts and things requiring flour.

Anyway, I hate when I go to read a recipe and the blogger rambles on. So to the point:


**The ingredient list for the crust is for ONE pizza crust. I made each one individually. You can double to make a larger pizza- or just have double the ingredients and do as I did and make each crust separate.** The Sauce and Toppings ingredient list was sufficient for TWO pizza crusts.**

INGREDIENTS:

AlMOND FLOUR CRUST
* 1 1/4 cup of almond flour
* 1/4 cup of ground flax seed (I literally just took flax seed and put it in my food processor until it was like flour)
* 2 cold organic large eggs; beaten
* sprinkle of pink Himalayan salt
* sprinkle of fresh ground pepper
* 1/4 tsp. of fresh rosemary
* 1/4 tsp. of fresh basil
* 1/4 tsp. of aluminum free baking soda
* 1 Tbsp. of organic extra-virgin olive oil

HOMEMADE PIZZA SAUCE:
* One large Roma tomato
* Fresh crushed or minced garlic
* Fresh Ground pepper
* Fresh Basil
* Fresh Oregano

TOPPINGS:
-Here I believe you can add whatever you like within a healthy means, of course. Tonight, I added the following:

* One small yellow onion; sauteed in olive oil, first
*One Fresh sliced Roma tomato
* Chopped spinach
* Cheese (this is my guilty pleasure)

I would have added some green peppers and olives but sweet Ellie had had enough of errands when I did my run to the market so - I chose my battles.

If you want/need meat--add some grilled/ baked chicken with Italian herbs, or some lean ground turkey seasoned with Italian herbs.

THE COOKING PROCESS:

I started first by making the crust.

- Add all crust ingredients in together in a medium mixing bowl- mix- and form a big dough ball. Reminder this is for ONE pizza.

- Set on a baking tray coated lightly with olive oil and form your pizza crust shape.

- Now to prepare the sauce: Chop and mince your large roma tomato as fine as you can get it. I have a vidalia onion chopper with a super fine mincing grate that helped with this. Put into a small bowl. Add all the other ingredients to your desire...I don't measure out my spices. I would normally prepare this in a mortar and pestle, but surprise, surprise- it is packed. Therefore, I put it all in a glass bowl and used a potato masher to grind and mesh it all together. It works.

- Next, take the prepared sauce and evenly distribute this across the pizza dough crust.

-Add toppings. This part is all you. Add what you like but please remember this is about eating healthfully.

Then once the pizzas are prepped, put them into the oven which has been preheated to 425. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...