Saturday, July 20, 2019

Pickin' Peaches


I have never been a lover of peaches. I had them once as a child and never wanted them again. It's clearly a sin since it's our state fruit and all but....can't do it. My friend Laurel got me to try some last year and I mean, it was not bad or anything, I just don't love them. Regardless, I want Ellie to have every possible experience out there, therefore; we took her peach picking at Chattooga Belle Farms in Long Creek, SC.

First off....if you haven't been to this farm..GO!!! Oh my goodness so beautiful out there!! I mean wow! The land, the atmosphere, the restaurant, the little store, the fields....I wish we had gotten married there. So beautiful and so peaceful....even with a near two year old.

We got our basket and admittedly, had no idea what qualified as a "good" peach, but we did our best!! It was more than anything about the experience and the family time. Ellie liked picking the peaches and putting them in our basket. I love the texture of a fuzzy peach.



There was a gorgeous storm rolling in and we got to watch it roll and dance over the mountain tops as it made it's way to us for a brief moment before it swayed away to the other mountain tops in the distance. It was beautiful. Nothing like a mountain storm. Then we ate lunch in their little restaurant and oh my gosh, y'all! So good!!! The bread, the fig jam and goat cheese!! All the heart eye emojis, please!! Very well made food and the most beautiful views to take in while we sat there.



After we picked the peaches, we sat on the terrace and watched some beautiful glass blowing art being performed and we read a book about picking peaches to Ellie. Let me tell y'all about this book:

I want to include a story book for Ellie in all of her adventures because little ones learn best by experience and reading. Plus it's just great bonding time fun! Besides James and the Giant Peach, I had not heard of a young children's book regarding peaches. My sister, the highest most academic scholar I've ever met had not even a suggestion for me. So I did what all good millennials do. I reached out to Facebook. And I got a few good options. The winner for us though was a book suggested by my friend from high school, Allyson Simmons. She is friends with Hillary Salter who wrote Peaches Just for Me; illustrated by Noel Salter. Hillary and Noel Salter are a family of peach farmers locally in Columbia, SC. Well, I just love supporting local and I love supporting farmers. Their work is hard, endless, and soulful. They put all they have into what they do and always have the sweetest hearts. This little book is just adorable, sweet, and Ellie loved it! A great little children's story. I urge you all to get a copy! Here is a link to get yours:

https://www.amazon.com/Peaches-Just-Me-Hillary-Salter/dp/1720053251


Get out and support your farmers, make some memories, and play play play with your littles!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...