Sunday, April 19, 2020

Gone Fishin'



Growing up, I lived in Williamston, SC on a beautiful acre of land in a beautiful ranch house. Behind our house was a full woods with a mile long trail lead us back to A little reservoir. We had a dock and it was so quiet and secluded. My parents used to take my older sister and I fishing back there. To this day it is one of my fondest memories of my childhood.

Daddy would take me and my sister to a bait shop in Cheddar, SC. We would get a round styrofoam bucket and a whole bunch of minnows. Daddy would always get me a Cadbury Creme Egg as I spotted them at the checkout counter. To this day, at Easter, when I eat one I think of fishing with my daddy and mama and sister. 

Mama would pack a pic-nic. Daddy would bait my hook. And then I knew what to do! We used to catch a lot of catfish...which my Daddy brought home and cleaned and cooked....and I did not eat. I wanted no part of the catfish other than to catch one. 


So now about 25 years later, my husband and I live on a little over an acre with our precious two year old daughter on an 8 acre lake. The majority of the things I pass on to my daughter, Ellie, come from the warmest memories of the childhood my parents gave me and my sister. Living here sparks joy in my heart knowing we can just go to our backyard too and fish with Ellie. 

Yesterday was the first day I have fished in about 25 years. It was also Ellie's first fishing adventure! My husband got me a brand new fishing pole for Easter and the Easter Bunny brought Ellie a nice new fishing pole. Both are pink! We went to the community dock to fish. Our dock is temporary and very small. It's a 2021 project! We are happy the community has such a big dock we can also use. 

I made sure to eat a Cadbury Creme Egg. Ellie enjoyed half of one and Reese's Pieces. Eric enjoyed a variety of Reese's. Haha! We didn't catch anything, but we had quite a few nibbles! We had fun just being together and relaxing after two long days of strenuous yard work. It felt so good to fish again and include my daughter in something that made the best memories for me as a child. Make memories. They really do stick with the kids and become what they want with their families one day!








 Matthew 4:19 - "And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...