Thursday, March 2, 2017

Ellie's First High Risk Scan

Today, Eric and I visited a high risk center at GHS for Maternal and Fetal medicine. This is a visit we have anticipated as soon as we knew we were given clinical clearance to have a baby. I've actually known something like this and the series of other High Risk tests and precautions that will be taken the remainder of pregnancy- would happen since I was a kid myself. I've always been warned IF - big IF- I were allowed to get pregnant it would be quite an ordeal.

It becomes a greater reality when you have a real baby that you love the second you see that positive mark on the pregnancy stick. But, let me just take a moment to express- if I haven't already previously in other postings, that I don't believe Eric and I would have ever gotten pregnant if God did not have great purpose for this baby--whether that means she has a heart defect, or other defects and anomalies, or whether she is perfectly healthy and normal. God creates life with a plan and a purpose. ALL babies have God breathed life and God given purpose.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5   

BEFORE He even created any baby- He already had a purpose for that baby.....y'alll I just started getting teary eyed at this beautiful God I serve!!

Take me for example----I was not born perfectly healthy. I should be dead for heaven's sake! But, God intended great glory and purpose and power through 3 very major life altering physical heart weaknesses He gave me.

So. All of that banter to say this- before I give any results- My point is this: Ellie is a God created miracle. Period. A God given gift and a vessel we pray as parents God will use to bring Him glory. Her life- whether made strong by God through a weakness, or made strong by God through a healthy life that with which she has no limitations- shall be a precious God created, given, purposeful, blessing of a gift.

Woo! Little New mama bluster there! New mama who loves Jesus and His power!

Now to the visit today-

Eric and I arrived and the sweetest girl began our scan. God was definitely in the room and God definitely had His hands all over it all. I LOVE when I can feel God and know He is holding my hand! The sonographer had such generosity and skill as to know that I would be most concerned with Ellie's heart more than anything. Without asking, she began with Ellie's heart. Normally a scan is done head to toe.

I've had probably roughly 50 echos myself on my own heart....I am by NO means a pro....but I definitely know what I am looking for, looking at, and what looks normal. I actually know even more so what abnormal looks like.

I saw her heart. It was beating beautifully at 157 bpm. I could clearly see 4 chambers and all the flapping valves. To me, and to Eric who over the past 4 years has seen enough echos and asked so many questions that he has a clue now too what to look for- Ellie's heart looked really great.

But what did the sonographer think? She did not hesitate to tell us that obviously this was a preliminary heart echo and Ellie will have an extensive one at 24 weeks, but she guaranteed us today that there was absolutely no way Ellie had Ebstein's anomaly or pulmonary atresia!! (Which are my 2 biggest defects of 3.) She even took it a step further and took her time to show me each valve working beautifully and positioned correctly.

I then asked, "As far as you are able to tell- are there any septal defects?"
She replied by telling me from what she is able to see at this stage, besides the normal foramen (a hole in the atrial septum all babies have until birth) she could see no septal defects either. She said the foramen did not look abnormally large- if it were larger than expected it could pose a risk- but there was nothing to be concerned with. The final words on Ellie's heart out of her mouth were, "I have a REALLY good view today- it is not normal I can see a fetal heart this well this early; I am impressed! Her heart is BEAUTIFUL! She has a strong a healthy heart. So we are going to move to something else, because there is nothing alarming to see here!"

I started crying such huge happy tears. I never like to cry in front of people. It happens more frequently than I like because I am so emotional, but I silently let my big happy tears roll down my cheek as I held Eric's hand. Eric looked to have little happy tears in his lower lids. He had a huge happy smile on. He squeezed my hand lovingly. He is the very best supporting person I have ever had in my life. I am so thankful when he can be beside me! He could explain my heart matters better than me he is so well involved!

We go back April 6 to get the extensive fetal heart echocardiogram. I am over the moon. I have not stopped praising my God. I prayed specific prayers before getting pregnant. I got specific answers from my amazing God. I don't know how He sees me as a person to bless the way He does but man am I immensely thankful!! My God cannot be outdone. You cannot limit God and the miracles and actions and powers He performs.

On some other little happy notes, Ellie looked healthy overall. She is now measuring one day ahead so she is starting to get a little bigger. 9 oz today.

I just want to thank all of you for showing love, consideration, and care for our personal lives. Thank each of you for investing your prayers, time with messages and texts, and for having joy with us in our good news! A prayerful community of friends is so important. 2 is greater than one and so on...

Thank y'all! Please be in prayer for my personal heart echo on March 22 as we see how I am handling pregnancy. reminder: Pregnancy is technically supposed to weaken my heart a bit and bring my pending surgery closer to reality. I am praying I have not been weakened or affected at all- I feel amazing and still get a 5k in daily along with other exercises!
And please pray for Ellie's next echo on April 6. Thank y'all again!!! Much love from the Gladden family to y'all!!
Left Foot

Kissing Mommy on the Placenta :)

Alien picture as we look in the orbits to see she has 2 eyeballs!

Side profile again

Long legs like mommy and daddy!

Crossed legs at the ankles like a little lady!



11 comments:

  1. I love reading your writings and feeling the love you put into them. I'm so excited and happy for you and your family and will continue to pray with you for continued good results. I look forward to following your journey with so many others. HUGS to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mrs. Julie!! You are so precious!! Sending love and hugs right back to you sweet lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Eric are going to be great parents. Congrats again and can't wait to see the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome creator we serve. Relax a little and breathe again. He's got this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are sooo right!! His grace today definitely brought some overwhelming peace and joy! Thank you for your support and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, I am in tears (of JOY) for you just reading this! Our God is AWESOME! I know this is a burden lifted for you both. You are such an awesome person, a walking miracle and I know you are going to be a FANTASTIC momma! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww! my sweet friend!! thank you honey!! you are so so sweet!! i love you too darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to hear this and thankful for the peace of mind!! - Aunt Rhonda

    ReplyDelete

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...