Thursday, September 28, 2023

Chalk Cliffs - Hitchcock Woods Hike

 

I’m always excited to find a trail in the midlands that is not totally flat and just pine trees. A hill of any kind is rare in these parts. BUT, I love good scenery and magical things that bring a sense of adventure out as well as my own inner child alongside my two children and the Chalk Cliffs in Hitchcock Woods in Aiken, SC did just that. 

The Chalk Cliffs are best accessed off Dibble Road in Aiken, SC. There is a roadside margin to pull off and park in, in front of a gate entrance to the woods. (There are several entrances into these woods.) Now my tracking watch is on the fritz… I scratched the screen while climbing half dome back in June and now my watch likes to tell me I’m off for a run when I’m trying to catch up on Southern Charm on my couch….all that to say to you, I do not have exact mileage but I can give a very strong estimation based on my research that the trail which will be out and back to your car, will be about 1.5 miles. The trail is a primary horse trail so yield to horseback riders, watch for horse poop, and enjoy the sandy, woodsy walk. It is so quiet and green and immensely beautiful out there. 

From the parking lot there is a kiosk with well detailed maps. You will follow the Tea Cottage Trail until an intersection for Harry’s Hill on your left and Cathedral Aisle Fences on your right. Go left on to Harry’s Hill trail. It is in fact a hill, hallelujah for this upstate piedmont and blue ridge girl! It’s not long, but follow it all the way up until you plateau and keep going straight until you truly walk into the unmistakable and amazingly cool, Chalk Cliffs. These are quiet, a teeny tiny Grand Canyon, and loads of fun for everyone! We enjoyed exploring, being imaginative, and playing together in this spot. We stayed for the longest time! 

On your way out, just go the way you came! Out and back! Nice and easy. Have fun! Happy hiking!




























No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...