Monday, September 11, 2017

The Condition Of My Heart After Enduring Pregnancy

Before I got pregnant, I was told to prepare my mind and body that my heart would be weakened by pregnancy. Pregnancy and the strain and stress it and a delivery bring...especially when I delivered in the least preferred method for my heart's safety (C-Section) ...was expected to enlarge my heart, weaken it, causing more shortness of breath and flutters, and would bring my pending pulmonary valve replacement surgery to a closer date as my heart would be further enlarged-causing a larger pulmonary valve leak.

I have checked in with my cardiologist twice and undergone an echocardiogram since carrying and delivering Ellie. The Dr. stated I have sailed through this entire adventure. I have surpassed expectations.  The echocardiogram revealed that my heart is still very strong and though enlarged by pregnancy (in addition to my condition caused enlargement), it is recovering very well and the size is coming back down. There is no talk or estimate of when my surgery will be which I take to be a good thing. This means it is not going to be any time soon. God willing, of course!

I have been given clearance to run again though I must admit I started again anyway....I am a runner!! It is so hard to stop! It is one of the main reasons my report is this good! God is the number one reason!

The Dr. did tell Eric and I...that because the risks were already so high to get pregnant the first time, they are now even higher should we want a second baby. She told me as best as we can control it to not get pregnant for at least another two years as it would be very dangerous. Even after those two years pass, then my awaited surgery will come into play- increasing the risks even after a couple years of healing. Personally,  Eric and I feel that it is a "God thing " that we do not desire a second child and we discussed this long before we ever tried for one baby. There are just so many more risks to having a second and I want to be strong and healthy for the daughter I do have now and for Eric. People with differing opinions need not comment as frankly your opinion doesn't affect our desires, plans, or the reality of my health and the disadvantages it brings. I believe God prepared our hearts for this by not giving us a desire for more children. But mercy, are we ever thankful for our one little miracle girl God allowed us to try for then granted! If Eric and I were to become pregnant with another baby in the future against our plans and the Dr's plans- -- then we would rejoice in God knowing He had a different and bigger plan. But as of now, our decision is to be so happy and thankful for our baby Ellie and focus on keeping my heart as strong and healthy as possible so that I may have a longer life expectancy and put off surgery and all the surgeries to follow the 4th one of my life. Once they get started, then I will always need my artificial valve replaced after a matter of years. The heart can only take being cut open so many times, so.....we choose to have one baby unless God provides another miracle of His own divine plan...even if it is not our plan. It was truly a miracle we were even able to bring Ellie into the world. I hope this makes sense. But if not--my value comes from God and not the opinions of other flawed people on this earth. People like to make others feel so shamed for not doing things 100% the way they would...especially other mothers. It is really ridiculous. We pray about everything and follow where God leads us. We feel so blessed that we have Ellie, she and I are both healthy, and that I am healing well. Ellie will undergo an EKG soon to once again confirm her heart is perfect. More on that when we know!

Thank y'all for following our journey of a heart healthy life and pregnancy and praying us through!  God did this and the prayers y'all sent Him were heard and answered!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...