Friday, May 11, 2018

Mother's Day Feels


My First Real Mother's Day is coming up! That feels so special! I am so thankful that I get the honor of being able to partake in this day as a Mommy! Ellie Clardy Gladden's mommy! I was not sure I would ever see this day for myself. And now that it is upon us, I have all the feels.

I have always LOVED the Proverbs 31 woman that God breathed in His Holy Word. That woman is a fierce, strong, and powerful, selfless woman. Here are some of my favorite excerpts of that chapter.



She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.
 She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
 She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.


Her children arise and call her blessed;

    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 
“Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.”

The entire chapter is amazing. It reminds us women, daughters of God, that we are special creatures. It reminds us that we have a major role in His world and in the lives of many, starting with our families, first. I am a stay at home mom. All moms are incredible, whether you work, or stay home. So long as you are where God has called you to be and you serve Him, your spouse, and your children before yourself, then you are truly incredible. It takes so much to put so many other's needs above our own. In order to be a wonderful mother (not perfect, yet still wonderful), you have to consider all the needs of your family. 

My life has changed incredibly so. If I am being fully transparent...I remember not so long ago when I told everyone and even Eric (because we were not having children... #lifechanges) that I was too selfish to be a mom. I wanted to be able to take a luxury vacation every year, buy all the Anthropologie dresses my heart desired, eat all the lobster and filets, get up and go wherever and whenever I wanted, have no big responsibilities other than to explore and live life to the fullest.

What I could not comprehend at so young, was that living life to the fullest meant being a mommy! But I had to grow up. God had to mature my heart, my desires, and my mind. He had always planned Miss Ellie. God just had to set my eyes on a new desire for the most incredible adventure, role, and life I could ever dare to imagine!

And having Ellie didn't mean that my life ended. In fact, she has enriched my life far more deeply than any words could ever describe to make anybody feel my passion and love for this little girl and my new title as Mommy. I would never ever want a life without her! She gives me so much life and purpose and joy and adventure!!

My arms are most definitely stronger, too...God wasn't lying! And people have noticed! Too hilarious! "What is your workout?" ....."Ellie." 

What I love about this scripture of this Godly woman...the example for all of us...is her determined spirit to do the best she can for her family. Beginning with serving and loving her husband. She honors him and it is visible to all who see. He is respected and honored for his nature but also because he has such a woman as this supporting him, helping him, and following him. Because of her character- he is a better and stronger man. He is a trustworthy man. This role as wives is important for a strong marriage. And that is important for the children to see, as well. As a mother of a little girl, I want Ellie to see what strength (and not weakness as some feminists believe) it is to be an equal partner in marriage as a helpmate, and one who ties the family together by providing on her end with good healthy meals, a well ran home, a husband who is cared for well so that he can successfully provide, and babies who know they are loved, well educated, disciplined, adventurous, and happy. It takes a lot of energy, preparedness, non laziness, anticipation, carefulness, thoughtfulness, selflessness, love, dedication, ambition, strength, peace, and joy to carry out the tasks of being a good wife and mother. 

I truly believe the husband is the head of the house, but the woman is who binds it all together. She is the backbone. The neck. She holds a lot and is in charge of a lot. I have learned this. I laugh and mock my childless self of how I could be so judgmental of other parents. I laugh at all the things I said I would never do, be, or say. Being a mommy (especially a new one) is a daunting and experimental task. And my brain never turns off even when that cute little one is in bed. My wheels are turning until I fall asleep. Planning, preparing, setting up for the next day. I am thankful for God's guidance for us with the description of a Godly wife and mother in Proverbs 31. I am nowhere near that woman but she is something to strive for daily. For the sake of my family!

Becoming a mommy has opened my eyes to an entirely new world. A beautiful, wild, crazy, challenging, amazing, and fantastical world full of more love and joy than I could have ever known. 

I knew I loved Ellie when she was just a faint, barely visible pink line on a stick. I knew I loved her when I first felt her kick my tummy. I knew I loved her when I first heard her cry. (Still one of my favorite moments in the past 9 months.) I knew I loved her when I first held, snuggled, nursed, kissed, smelled, and calmed her. That love intensifies every. single. day. How can I love somebody that I love more than anything more and more every passing day? Even when we have a tough day and I want to pull my hair out and pack a bag and go drive through the mountains with the windows down so I can breathe and think clearly without having yogurt sneezed all over my face and hair, having my hair pulled out of my head, getting Ellie poop all over my arms when she flips and runs away in the middle of a diaper change. (She is a ninja, I swear.) I only need to look at her little face and all is right in the world. I would never want a life where I wasn't covered in yogurt, body fluids, and a few less hairs on my head. Because that life wouldn't be worth nearly what it is today. (That life also only lasts a small season.) Ellie enriches life indeed. She makes me better. She makes me stronger. She makes me happier. She makes me meaningful. 

Think about it mamas. YOU are a mommy! Somebody's little mama. Somebody's entire world and need. You are the person that your baby, child, teenager, adult will come to when wanting to share stories, have a boo boo kissed, show off a good grade, a new talent, a new friend. You are the person that child will seek advice of, lean on, cry on, trust, (even when they do not heed that advice), they learn from you. They will probably be hardest on you and treat you the worst, sometimes. They will also love you the most and need you the most. You are an irreplaceable asset with an immeasurable amount of value. You raise your baby to take on a whole world. You raise your baby to be somebody to and for others. You raise your baby with values, purpose, and personality. You are the one who may not feel glamorous at all anymore. You feel overlooked for all you do, and exhausted, beaten down some days, and time flies by before you because you are constantly rushing around for your family, putting yourself last. And that is the most beautiful thing about you. IT is what makes you shine and glow. That baby. That little one and who they become is your legacy and your greatest thing. You are responsible for who they are when they grow up. And it is only a few short years we are given. 

I LOVE being a mommy. It is my most favorite thing I have ever done with my life! I have bucket list upon bucket list of trillions of activities, places, experiences, things I want to do for Ellie. I live for her joy and smile! I want to be present for every single sports game, choir performance, musical concert, science fair, chess tournament, gymnastics meet, dance recital, debate, spelling bee, swim meet, and horseback performance. No matter what she ends up doing, I want to be at every single one of them and cheer her on with T-shirts and pom poms! I want her to know she is loved to the point I smother her with "I love yous" and hugs. I want to give her the world, even if it means sacrificing mine- because she IS my world! (After God and Eric as always, of course!)

So, this season of Mother's Day weekend.....I feel the happiest, best, and most sappy and sentimental I have ever felt in my life! And for my final thought note-let it be known- you do not have to  be a biological mommy to be a mommy. If you are a woman who has taken that role for someone in any way- it all holds the same truth and value. Stepping up to the plate to better the life of a child is the most selfless act. 

Happy Mother's Day, loved ones! I hope you feel loved and special every day!

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...