Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Another 13.1 done


Well. My racing season was supposed to start back in September; however, thanks to Hurricane Florence, a violent 4 day stomach bug, and moving, I have missed 4 races. I don't know what God wanted me to get from that or if He was simply protecting me. In any event, I embraced it and thanked God for what He knows that I do not.

Yet, those races were supposed to be my friendly little warm up to doing another half marathon. I have not ran a half since 2013. I ran a full in 2014. Either way, I have ran nothing greater than a 10k in a few years. I don't ever train because running is a God given gift for me which is so cool as I am not even supposed to be alive; yet, it is true, it is a more comfortable sport if I am consistent. So, I was fully aware this 13.1 run was going to be attainable yet painful muscularly speaking. I only did a 10k to warm up ahead of time the race week. Normally I would do 10 miles, but I was right here at race week and you are not supposed to run at all the week before a big race.

I have no goals when I do long races other than to be happy and enjoy the clearness of mind, my music, and the scenery. I enjoy the fitness. Somebody once asked me at a gym, trying to get to know me, what I liked to do for fun? I lauhed and said, ummm....this?! I love fitness. It makes me happy. I am not a gym junkie, a meathead, or anything crazy.....I just really love to feel my body relax with exercise and my strength grow both mentally and physically. That can mean yoga, running, obstacle courses, dancing, anything active. Of course I love a good shopping trip, movies, and anything outdoors as well. But ask me to go running or to join in on a strenuous hike with lots of sweat and muscle gains and I am all in. Anyway. Side tangent.

So I signed up for this half which took place in Lexington, SC which is about 2 hours from home. Some friends from college days and my first years of working will know that Lexington was my weekend home before meeting Eric. My sister and her family used to live there and I was actually looking for surgical jobs and apartment searching there to be with them more than 4 days a week. But then Eric happened. Then Josh got a job in GA. So that was all she wrote for Lex. However, I decided it was time to put a long distance race back on my docket and found this half in Lex. I signed up and figured I would drive down morning of (laughs, snorts) *yeah right!* and would run and come back home. Ummmm....reality check little dreamer....you would die. I need 8+ hours of sleep. And I can't have coffee soooooo.....

....I got a hotel. I wanted Eric and Ellie with me so badly. But those who are part of our intimate circle understand how impractical that is right now with all Eric has on his plate this current semester. Like...if Eric's current load in life was a literal plate of food.....even the fattest man/ woman (not to discriminate, lol!) would not be able to finish the plate of food. It is so much. So, I know he would support me from afar and I as his wife supported him by not making a big deal of him coming with me because I know he needs rest, Ellie time, and time to accomplish other daily living tasks that get put on the back burner during the week that only he can handle. Not to mention the drive and the time of the race would just be miserable for little Ellie and she doesn't need to sit out in that. That being said, this was my first race ever not having a cheerleader or a running partner. All alone. A few nerves ensued. I wanted my pre-race Eric good luck kiss. I wanted to see Ellie looking at me proudly. But, it was peaceful on one hand because I was back in a place that used to be home to me as well as able to do whatever I wanted for one whole night without anybody needing me. So what did I do pre-race night? Got outback cheese fries, put on cozy jammies, and laid in the middle of a fluffy king sized bed with a pillow fort and watched HGTV. Not too shabby!

The race itself was incredible. Like so so good. Very well organized, clear and apparent path markings, lots of cheerleading, hydration every mile, and an awesome finish and medal. I imagined Eric and Ellie and Pam at every big milestone. I pictured them at the finish. I broke my own 13.1 time and I broke 2 hours. I finished the race in 1 hour and 58 minutes. I never stopped running other than to drink water from miles 9-13.1. I never felt bad but naturally was ready for it to be over. I was entertained by seeing how much my little town had changed and grown. I was all alone with no runners in sight in front of or behind me for about 3 miles. It was very relaxing. I just felt calm which helped me to breathe so well, which helped me to run very well. After crossing the finish line...I jello wobbled up some stadium stairs, and got in my car to drive home to my family. I took an epsom salt bath and relaxed the rest of the day with my fam. It felt good to be back at it. I think I will run at least one half a year instead of having a 5 year gap between the big races. I have ran a full marathon but honestly after 16 miles it just sucked. I may do one again but only with Pam. Half's are where it's at for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...