Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Baby Veggie "Muffins"


My thing right now is getting Ellie to find interest in many new food creations and types of food. I, as most of you know really only believe in giving her healthy food while she is too young to even know any different or know what a bunch of sodium and sugar are. Eric did make me promise to give her a real cake for her 1st birthday quickly approaching to which I conceded. But, otherwise, I see no reason to give anything unhealthy to her at this age. Treats will come as she is old enough to know what a "treat" is. Meanwhile, I can show her healthy food can actually taste like treats too! So good in fact, I want to eat the food I make for her, and I do nibble on it!

So, for an easy healthy breakfast for Ellie to eat, I wanted to switch up from the fruit packed oat muffins I had made her and try something slightly different. I bought a mini muffin tin. Better size for bites and holding in one hand. And I concocted a 5 ingredient "muffin".

INGREDIENTS:
* 1 pack of medjool dates
* 3 organic bananas
* 1 large carrot
* 1 large handful of kale
* Cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS:
* First I threw all of the dates into the food processor after removing the inner seed. (Easy to remove as they are so "squishy"). I softened the dates up this way so they would be easier to shape and mix. Then I threw them into a large mixing bowl.

*Add all 3 bananas, mashed up to the mixing bowl.

*Wash and peel the top skin of your large carrot. Then grate it finely into the large mixing bowl.

*Take the large handful of kale and throw it in the food processor to shred and grind up.

*Add the kale to the mixing bowl.

*Add cinnamon...I eyeballed this.

*Mix everything up very well.

*You may oil your mini muffin dish with oil or butter, but not necessary as they are moist enough not to stick after baking. I did use a little olive oil.

*Dish muffin mix into muffin tray.

*Bake at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until firm enough that when cooled they can be removed very easily in one piece.


I chose to freeze most of my batch and leave a couple in the refrigerator for Ellie. She eats about half a muffin a day for breakfast. When in need of more, simply go to the freezer the night before and place in fridge to thaw out.

Ellie has really loved these muffins! So have I! They remind me of carrot cake! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...