Thursday, March 4, 2021

Dr. Seuss Birthday Celebration with My Toddler!


I LOVE Dr. Seuss!! What a childhood treasure for all! I wanted to do a few different things than we did last year. Last year we did a full week, however; this year we had two school curriculums I'm doing to work around so I did one whole day. A lot of reading, playing, building, counting, singing, dancing, and creating happened at our celebration!

Hats that I printed for free then laminated and stapled together found from "Fun activities for Kids." I found it on Pinterest. Mine was Thing 1! Eric was The Lorax, Ellie was Horton.

Then we made Cat in the Hat Pizza:








I read "Fox in Socks" to Ellie. Reading this tongue twister was so fun! She is learning French from me, and she asked me, "Why are you reading that in French?" Ha!!! I suppose it was so mumbly jumbly of a tongue twister that she heard a bunch of nonsense. Eric sat in the floor with bug eyes and shaking his head as I read, Ha! So so so fun! Ellie was cracking up!!


I used math stacking manipulatives for a fun new Cat in the Hat activity. First, we separated and sorted white and red. We counted our whites and we counted our reds. Then Ellie stacked and stacked and stacked. She wanted her "hat" to be taller than my cat hat. She got so excited doing this and when they finally collapsed we screamed and squealed and laughed!! Then we collected the pieces and counted the total we stacked and the total of each color. Then I wrote the numbers and Ellie practiced what she felt like writing numbers. She as her name down so now I'm introducing new numbers and letters. She got a little frustrated with herself and said "I can't do it!" So I didn't force it, encouraged her, and told her with practice she surely will and her "3" was awesome! No need to force or stress it! That kills the joy of learning. 


Reading "The Foot Book" and "The Lorax," Lead us to make a truffula tree foot and then measure it together. I let Ellie practice writing "Left" for her left foot. Another new writing word to introduce to her. 






Pink Ink Yink Drink!! (Pink Lemonade!)



Oobleck! (Cornstarch + water + green food dye.) (Easter eggs because she wanted them!)







Is it really a Seuss celebration if you don't eat green eggs and ham?!


We did "What does Horton Hear?" Inspired by "Horton Hears a Who." I stuck things in a cup and hid them from her vision, and had her shake them around and guess what she was hearing. She had a lot of fun with this!



Our Seuss collection read this week:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...