Sunday, September 16, 2018

Birthday Buddy


Jayden, my first and oldest nephew, and I have only 3 hours and 20 minutes that separate us from sharing the same birthday. I was 18 years and 364 days old when that big baby boy nearly 11 lbs. entered the world, stealing my heart.


He changed my world and he changed me. Jayden is not only my nephew, but he is just like a little brother to me as well as nearly like my own child. My heart had never up until meeting Eric and having Ellie known the immense amount of love that it could behold. I then, as a young college girl, started spending my weekends less and less with friends and more and more with Jayden. I took care of him in the middle of the night when he woke up, I took him on dates, I took him running, I experienced nearly all his firsts with him, I got to see how holidays are way more fun with a little one than with just as your own self. In fact, I remember working as a CNA and having to work weekends and holidays and being so sad as I was single and childless meaning I was the last person allowed to ask off for these days. I understand now as a mommy how important it is for mothers to be with their babies on holidays if possible, but I loved that baby as my own and I couldn't imagine not being with him for Christmas! I was heartbroken. We have always had a special unique bond. We fight like siblings and fuss and annoy each other but we also get each other unlike most others do. We are really super close buddies.

With life having changed so much for both of us since his birth (3 new siblings for him, a husband and a daughter for me, new state and town for him, too), I no longer see him every weekend yet I still see him a couple times a month which is a blessing.

To celebrate us turning 9 and 28 next weekend, Jayden and I went on a special birthday date this past Friday as he was in town for the weekend. I called him up and asked him where he wanted to go. I told him he could go anywhere he desired. Chick-fil-a it was! Jayden got the spicy chicken deluxe. He opened all my doors for me and threw away the trash. He also got a frozen lemonade drink. He and I talked about roller coasters, cars, volcanoes, food, books, and science. I gave him a Harry Potter temperature changing mug of the Marauder's Map for his nightly tea and book time at home.

It overwhelmed me as I sat with him talking and watching him enjoy his meal the amount of special bubbles that over took my heart. I fear he won't think me as fun or as cool now that we are both getting older. He used to call me a big kid....he literally thought I was a kid who was tall...even after I married Eric....and I just wondered, am I still cool Aunt Emmay? Am I still interesting to him? His laughter reassured my fears. He was so interested in my words and he was laughing all the time! He complimented my messy loaded down camry full of Ellie toys, snacks, hiking gear, ballet gear, and extra clothes. He made me feel special and I hope he felt special, too.

There is nothing quite like the first child in your life that makes you see the world through a new pair of glasses.

Happy Birthday, Birthday Buddy!! I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...