Sunday, September 16, 2018

College Girl Dreams

College Me: aka- good girl, tree climbing, swing dancing, hibachi eating, Jesus lover

Life is a funny little thing. Nobody talks about this better than Thomas Rhett Akins in his song, "Life Changes."

When I was in college, I remember I always pictured, imagined, dreamed, believed, and pined that I would do college with my future husband. That I would meet my husband at school, have study dates together, walk campus together, have pizza dates, cook meals in one of our apartments, and learn about being on our own, together.

I didn't have that. I was a single pringle for a long time--but so glad I was because if I wasn't in the arms of Eric then I would have been miserable anyway!! I intentionally stayed single and waited to give my heart away to the man God created for me. But that is another story.

Now, I have been having the opportunity since 2016 to be dating a college man and doing life with him. This semester particularly, so far, has really put my past dreams into perspective and play.

My husband, Eric got an associates degree in Chemistry at Ferris State University in Michigan. He had always dreamed of becoming a chemical engineer but the logistics were just not yet in place for that to happen for this young, hard working, fully self reliant young man. He got a wonderful job immediately upon graduation as he was dressed for the part and prepared with a resume for recruits at the company he has had the blessing of giving his skills to for 13 years now. He started with the company in Michigan, where he is from. In Kalamazoo. Some time went by and a little life happened and Eric started back to school at Western Michigan in pursuit of a chemical engineering degree. But, life, God's will, said not yet. God moved Eric to South Carolina to continue his work for the same company. Always holding on to his engineer dreams. When we met in 2013, he spoke to me and another friend of ours about how he had been looking into going back to school now. He had prepared mentally and had mapped out a course schedule and a plan. But God still said no. Not yet. Not while you are yet unmarried and childless and have every desirable thing at your fingertips. God made Eric wait until 2016. Just as we started trying to get pregnant. Just as we decide to sell our house. God sent Eric back to school. The opportunity came to him, not he to it, this time. Work had been going well for Eric, successful moments, and this lead to his boss at the time that God put in Eric's life, encouraging Eric to go and obtain his dream of becoming a chemical engineer. And Eric seized that opportunity. 2 years now, in school. From Greenville Tech now at Clemson, he is taking it all super slowly as to maintain a full time career and being a full time husband and daddy.

We laugh so hard lovingly at God and His perfect eternal perspective and plans for us. Sure, God, of course. Have this big journey start now....now that all the big things (happy, but big) things are on our plate! We must be crazy. Eric had been back to school for 3 months when I told him I was pregnant. Then, 2 months after Ellie was born, Eric still in school, we listed our home, sold it, moved to a rental and began building our dream home. All while taking 2 or 3 classes a semester. Big over my head classes.

So back to the college girl dreams idea here.....I had always dreamed of being in school with my man....whew...honey. Now I am. I am blessed blessed blessed to be the cheerleader of Team Eric in this picture. It is hard work on us both. It is way different than I ever pictured. Probably because 18 year olds don't usually have babies, homes, multiple dogs, careers, and the need of naps. Lol! Eric does not see Ellie almost any night during the work week. When I see him, it is to kiss him, feed him, and hear him snore beside me as bed time is only moments after he gets in. Our weekends are for each other. We are each other's best friends and we want to see one another. I am blessed to get to see most of my friends during weekdays. We love seeing them on weekends too, but primarily, weekends are for us to just unwind, vent, play, and nap together. Sometimes on weekends Eric still has to study. I am so proud of him. It is hard on me as I feel like a single parent 5 days a week but I have help from my mama, my Hike It Baby crew, dance crew, and Kindermusik crew, and now my MOPS crew! But as hard as it is on me to help him even when he gets home and allow him his needs to unwind and relax, eat, and be human for a moment too, trying to take the weight of the family on my shoulders as to allow him all the relaxation and peaceful environment he can have, I remember it is all so much harder on him than it is myself. He doesn't get to see his baby girl often at all. He gets up at 3:30 every morning, he skips meals running from work to school to work to home (I deliver food as I can), studies even when he gets home, and never really gets a break until semester end. I am honored to be the helpmate God chose for Eric to encourage him in this time, to help him, to feed him, to serve him in any way I can as he daily serves us with hard work at career, and hard work at giving us a better future while obtaining his dream.

My college girl dream was to be with the man I would marry, doing life together. That is all I wanted. And guess what? God delivered that dream. Later than I thought I wanted. Differently than I thought I wanted it. But God's plans are always better than our own. They are meant to best glorify Him and so I have to praise God for this time in our lives. We are learning a lot and growing together daily in this season. I am so thankful this dream worked out the way God had intended because I couldn't imagine any different. The way God carries out a plan likely does not make sense to our tiny human brains most of the time. But that is why FAITH is so important. I have faith that God has our best interests as His children at hand and heart. It is evident to me He does. He has answered my prayers and desires 50x's more than I could have ever dreamed up. And HE deserves the glory and praise for all aspects of my life and Eric's, our life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...