Thursday, September 13, 2018

Cajun


You best know him as Dingo Dog. Insert, "The Dingo ate my baby!!" ...but seriously...watch out kids!

Cajun is my stepchild. I first met him on mine and Eric's first date and he did not even bark at me. In fact he instantly snuggled me and licked me and cuddled down beside me. He was buttering me up. He wanted a new mommy. But, it was short lived. He had to train me and I am just as stubborn as he is! He is a high maintenance picky little dingo. Don't touch his paws, don't cuddle him, don't look him in the eyes, don't run in the house, don't make loud and disturbing sounds, and don't chase him. I don't live by his demands so he and I are constantly at odds in a hilarious sort of way.

Before I came along, for a season of time, it was just Eric and the Dingo. Two bachelors. Doing whatever they wanted. House and couch and bed all to themselves. Enter squealy, chipper, high pitched blonde number one. Then two (Blondie), then three (Ellie).Cajun is the most docile he has ever been, now. Sure he is old, but I think the three blonde ladies of the house have worn him down. Often he retreats to be alone upstairs in the bed or in his "house." If we get near him, he darts. It's again because we are too touchy feely and loud for him. He is a grumpy old man. "Daddy, what did you do?! All these blonde girls running around wild!!"

He is a carolina dog. Breed in the carolinas, clearly. They are still considered a wild and newly domesticated breed. Meaning....they aren't as trusting, calm, or docile as your other family breeds like retrievers and collies....Very dominant, territorial, protective, and wild in character.
For example....when Cajun was a puppy, Eric rescued him from The Greenville Humane Society. He had a nub for a tail. Carolina dogs all have tails. His was clearly docked as a pup. Eric got Cajun set up with a dog trainer who gave services in-home. Cajun failed. I have all the paperwork. He failed. He was offered a free training session due to the bewilderment of the trainer who had obviously just never ever seen such. He is not stupid...in fact he is too smart. He is stubborn. And picky.

He is a protector. He is loving to those who fully submit to him. He personally loves my mom, my friend Savannah, and friend Julie. And well...that is about it. From time to time he shocks me with cuddles and kisses. Ok, so I love him but ugh he grates my nerves. (Animal activists fear not) Cajun is well loved and our "animosity" is a running joke with family and friends.

What I love most about Cajun are a few grand things. First, He makes Eric very happy. He was in Eric's life as a soul companion at a traumatizing time in Eric's life. He and Eric have a special secret language and Cajun only obeys Eric...or me when he fears I am going to kill him....but only then...lol! I see a childlike, boy like grin on Eric's face when Cajun dusts off his old bones and wants to play with Eric. I see tears in Eric's eyes when Cajun seems sick or his time may be near. I see the joy this pet gives my husband. That is why I love Cajun.

I love that Cajun is so funny in his nature. He is the most dominant and territorial dog who just wants to be cuddled by daddy like a big old baby. He has no use for foolish games or antics. He is too posh for all that. He tricks Blondie and keeps us laughing.

I love that he knows how to open Christmas presents and admire them under the tree, practicing self control by only sniffing and not tearing into them until Christmas day. 

I love that he let me dress him as a deer for Halloween one year and as a senor another. He lets me play dress up with him even though he hates it. For being so touchy, he truly does love to please his people. He also knows treats are involved.


I love that Cajun can spell. Yes, he can actually spell. P-A-R-K. .....W-A-L-K. He knows what they mean.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...