Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Daffodil U-Pick + HHI Field Trip Fun

 It was SUPER spontaneous. 7:08 a.m. I woke up, Eric was preparing to leave for work. Kids are still asleep. I’ve been dying to feed my daughter’s passions for daffodils and farms by taking her to Merrick’s U-Pick Daffodil farm in Okatie, SC. The problem is, you can only go if they are open and flowers can be finicky after all. If there aren’t enough blooms out the farm won’t open. So every day for nearly three weeks I watched to see if their open day that was announced usually 24 hours prior would align with an open day for us. 


It takes 2hrs and 45 mins for me to get there from where I live. They are only open 9-12 when they do happen to be open. So this one morning I awoke, checked their page groggily through sleepy, heavy, nearly blind eyes. The day had come! They were open! I literally jumped out of bed sacrificing the covers to the foot of the bed and nearly collapsing over the dog as I now full of adrenaline and so little time clambered to the vanity to pop in my eyes and brush my teeth! I yanked the kids out of bed, threw clothes on them, gave commands for Eric to pack my car for the beach while I shoveled food down the still dreaming wee one’s throats. I literally threw everything in the car, kissed my man and away we drove like a bat out of you know where to get my baby some flowers and sunshine! And Elias chose then to have his first ever blowout diaper. I mean, really?! πŸ™ˆπŸ˜…So we dealt with that…🀷🏼‍♀️. Thank goodness for wipes and a change of clothes packed.

And honey! It was well worth it. Beyond worth it! Sheer elated rapturous joy floated out of Ellie like butterflies in a meadow! She got her bucket and picked 70 stems of bright daffodils! Elias was happy to eat dirt. She looked like a butterfly flittering between the blooms. I had to cut her off eventually or else they may never open again for the fact we would have cleaned them out! 70 stems made 4 bouquets which Ellie happily vased, watered, and displayed throughout our home on her own. 

She told me, “I really like this field trip!” And countless other things that made my coffeeless heart runneth over with something way better than caffeine…appreciation.




















Then we put the car in drive straight to Coligny Beach Access at Hilton Head Island!! Yes honey child!

We strolled out, laid out, and splashed up a storm. Elias happily ate sand! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜… We had beach lunches with cold fresh mango and raspberries. It was 87F and smelled like coconuts and char grilled burgers wafting on a salty wave. Hallelujah honey! They played together and I played and watched. Elias napped in my arms. A seagull pooped on his hat while he slept thanks to some idiots who have never clearly seen a seagull before and congregated the birds of prey all around us and other innocent bystanders with chunks of bread and French fries. “Don’t do it, people.” - Elias, probably. But he slept through it, I wiped his hat clean, shook my head, and turned my eyes to my long legged girl dancing in the waves like a sandpiper. Even a gift from a seagull couldn’t spoil the moment! 

When the sun began to sink, knowing we had a bit of a drive, I gathered my darlings and took Ellie for ice cream and I gave Elias the tiniest lick of her spoon when she was done…he didn’t have to tell me with his words this was his favorite part of the day. 

We packed up, changed the kids into pajamas, and chased the sun home to see Eric and our beds! It was magical, exhausting, and one of my favorite memories! 


























No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...