Thursday, June 15, 2023

Redwoods National Park

 


We visited the Redwood national forest/park. On this trip I learned the difference between sequoias and redwood trees. Redwoods are the tallest trees! They are breathtaking! We drove through and hiked around as well. 

We hiked in Fern Canyon. The best part of this for me was, I kept telling Eric the entire time we were hiking that this looked just like Jurassic Park. I felt like I was in Jurassic park amidst the ferns, mist, and redwoods. I told him I half expected to see a dinosaur jump out and that would be fine with me! I’m in love with Jurassic Park and always have been. After we left this part of the park, Eric did some research (his favorite thing ever to do) and discovered that Fern Canyon did indeed host scenes from Jurassic Park 2! I mean I was just over the moon beside myself ecstatic! Made my day!!! 🤩

I actually am ashamed to say it never occurred to me that the redwood national park also consisted of the pacific coast line and therefore we got to see parts of a coastal trail. Apparently this is a great spot for whale watching November-April. So it was not the migratory season during this visit but I did watch and observe the coast and was amazed by all the cliffs and rocks. The sand was black/gray. It was cold! Not like SC to be sure. It was at best 63F. 

As we drove, me high on the new found fact about Jurassic Park, was singing at the top of my lungs, bee-bopping in the car with the sunroof open - again, much to Eric’s loving delight - we stumbled across the most chintzy tourist trap - something about the mystery of the trees - a gondola ride through them - but that’s not what got us - here I am belting out a tune, dance moves and all, when all of a sudden a big blue Babe the Ox and waving winking Paul Bunyan emerge from the trees and I burst out laughing because it was just too ridiculous! So we decided this was a good place to grab a coffee and keep right on going. But it was so funny because some people were eating this all up. It was sooo chintzy and such a trap but hilarious! I love a laugh! 

We saw wild elk! They were everywhere! They were just laying in a meadow right in front of us and on the roadside/sidewalk! It was so cool! 

We kept driving up the coast and found a brewery and dinner. We had an AMAZING meal. We each got an entree and split them so we could each enjoy both dishes. We had snapper aka rock fish, and amazing tacos - indescribable. 

We returned to our stay at the Pinc Lady Mansion that evening and after a warm shower, we played scrabble with the house owners and it was such a fun night of laughing and really good conversations! 




































No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...