Saturday, July 11, 2020

Riley Moore Falls Trail Guide


This hike and waterfall is one of the BEST spots for kiddos and families to hang for the day! Riley Moore Falls is located on the Chattooga River in Oconee County, SC. Prepare for a super fun beach day! The trail total is 1.9 miles. Be warned, if you go on a weekend it's likely to be quite crowded. Week days are my favorite for a touch more silence and more beach space. Let's check it out!

1.) Getting There: In your Google Maps GPS, type "Riley Moore Falls." GPS will take you exactly where you need to go. You will go over a really cool old metal one car bridge over the Chattooga River. I love old bridges and structures! Your final turn before parking will be on "Spy Rock." This is a long gravel road. Your GPS will eventually tell you to turn once more but DON'T do it! Just park along the gravel road of Spy Rock. Why? Well...the road it would have you turn down is marked "Primitive Road." Now, if you have truck with 4 wheel drive and want to venture down that bad bouncy boy you be my guest. It is only a 1/2 mile long so I would rather walk it (as most of those who visit also choose to do.) 

Funny side note story - I took my little car down this "Primitive Road" the very first time I ventured out there....having seen NO reviews about this road...and it was raining cats and dogs (because rain doesn't keep me from adventure) and my car that day got a broken splash board, a broken muffler, and a whole lot bangs and scratches on the undercarriage as I drug that poor old car through the deeply crevasse filled red clay. I practically had a heart attack making like a 30 point turn because I couldn't take my car any further down that road or I do believe it would have been stuck! Haha! This is why solid reviews are so important! I now go there frequently and I do NOT take the primitive road! Hahaha!


2.) The Hike: So, if you parked just before the road marked "Primitive Road" also labeled as "748-C," you will hike down the primitive road. Again, it is a half mile down this road and you will walk to the trailhead. Once you get to the end of the road you will see a red gate. To the left of the gate is the trailhead down to the beach and falls and it is marked! The actual trail is not long and it will not take long until you see the falls! The trail is easy and short. It is very well shaded and then as you come upon the falls it bursts into light as the beach opens up and welcomes you to pick a spot and have a pic-nic!


3.) The Falls: The falls are on the Chattooga River and there is ample space for swimming and playing on the beach. I suggest bringing beach towels to sit on, toys for the kids to play with in the sand, floats, sunscreen, water, and snacks! Dogs are welcome here as well. People have carried down small charcoal grills before and had cookouts. It is a really great spot!

Note: The hike back out will be a steady climb. Of course it's not a long hike but it is steady uphill. Some may consider the hike moderate for this reason. My two year old can do it but it is a good sweat for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...