Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Domestic Diva: Healthy Zucchini Spaghetti Casserole!

I LOVE to eat! I constantly tell my husband that Food is an unwritten love language. If he spoke words of affirmation to me while serving me some yummylicious food- I'd drown from the love waves! And he does it, too!!

But, I want the food I eat to be healthy, nutritious, and beneficial to my body! God gave me a body to care for and honor Him with- so I need to care for it! I believe healthy food can be really tasty- in fact I know it is. Healthy dinners are all I cook for my family- and you wouldn't know the difference in taste!

Last night, I made a comfort food special- Zucchini Spaghetti Casserole. A healthy spin on the carbs!

INGREDIENTS:

* 3 large zucchinis

* Jar of low sodium, vegetable filled spaghetti sauce. My fave is Mia's Kitchen: Pasta Sauce: Kale.    (If using just a regular jar of spaghetti sauce, I like to jazz it up slightly with one chopped onion and a teaspoon of minced garlic.)

*1 lb of lean hamburger meat. (Usually I use lean ground turkey, but I am pregnant and borderline anemic- so I have to get that red meat! So make it as lean as possible!)

*Sharp shredded cheddar cheese and Mozzarella shredded cheese

                                                                                                  




                                                               ( Note: These pictured above are NOT my photos.)

SUPPLIES:

*Large mixing bowl

*9x13 casserole dish

*Vegetti (preferred) or can use a Mandolin slicer- Anything to help you easily achieve the noodle shape from the zucchini.

* Skillet or pan for browning meat

Note: Still not my photo- I'll do better next time! ;)
But, here you can see the Vegetti, and what it does for your zucchini. Awesome!!



DIRECTIONS: 

*I start by using the Vegetti to "spiralize" or "noodleize" the zucchini. It is super easy, just hold it over a big mixing bowl and get to twisting!

*Then, I brown my meat and drain any grease in the pan. 

*I dump the browned, drained meat on to the zucchini noodles, then add the sauce, and anything else I may want to add such as the chopped onion and minced garlic. 

*Stir well so that the noodles are coated well by the meat sauce.

*Spray or lightly coat a casserole dish with olive oil to prevent sticking, then pour the mixture into the casserole dish.

*I chose to lightly coat the top with a little cheese. This is optional.

*Then, let bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. 

Ready for a cheese topping!

Mmm! Cheese! ;)


VOILA! Bon Appetite, mes amis!! This feeds easily a family of 6-8. I make large family proportions because leftovers are easy for our busy schedules. 

Scrumdidilyumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...