Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Fit Mama: Running While Pregnant

Most all of you know by now I am an avid long distance runner. In college I ran a minimum of 4.5 miles 6 days a week. In the work world I managed a minimum of a 5k 3-4 times a week in addition to a 2 mile walk at lunch.

I have ran countless 5k's, 10k's, trail runs, half marathon and full marathon. When not pregnant I would run about 2 races a month and run as much as possible during the week. Needless to say: I LOVE RUNNING!!

Getting pregnant challenged this a little. Before I knew I was pregnant, I actually ran a 5k race hard core as usual and finished in my normal time. I went walking at work daily and ran every night I was home at a decent hour- but then I discovered I was pregnant...YAYY!!! Praise God!! But I started having trouble in the beginning. I was hemorrhaging really badly. Twice the OB thought I had miscarried. The first 9-10 weeks was like this. They put me on a pelvic rest. No physical activity. This was not a problem because I wanted to do all I could to put this baby's health, life, and safety ahead of everything to make sure she was ok. But if you are a runner- you know that high you get and you need it...like really need it.

So, by 2nd trimester all had improved and my cardiologist was the one who encouraged me to break back into my physical activity as hard core as I felt comfortable with. I have always been the girl who could take 3 months off of running and then just go out the next day and run a 5k no problem. A gift God gave me. But I was scared to run. I was so scared the problems would start again. So I started just by walking a half mile. When that went well, I expanded that. Soon, I was walking my 5k route. I have been walking this daily as fast pace a walk as most people's jog.

Then one afternoon recently, I felt that high again- that drive, desire, need, joy, adrenaline to run! Just run mindlessly...I actually break into a smile when I run! And so...I decided to run the last mile back home. I did, Whew did it feel physically different. My lower abdominals and hip ligaments are soooo tight from stretching and growing right now despite daily walking, squats, and more...so I felt like a baby duckling running with a big fat water balloon, but I did it!! I ran and I smiled and I danced as soon as I got home and in the sun room!! And I didn't stop!! I went right into my next workout!

So, I do not plan to run more than a mile or 2 at most during this pregnancy....especially because I know my body will pick running higher mileage right back up after delivery and healing...but I plan to run daily at the end of my walk.

You are supposed to be able to do pretty much everything you were doing before pregnancy in your physical routine.I am so thankful for how God is blessing my body and baby and health!! I am astounded and blown away when I think of what God has allowed and performed in these past 19.5 weeks!! Thank you all for your prayers for me, too. Prayer is the strongest tool we have and man, does it work!! I should not be alive, I should not be allowed to be pregnant, I should not be without bed rest during pregnancy....and yet...I am running, without losing my breath and quite comfrotably, mind you, while pregnant!!! Ahhhh!!! I can't wait to tell my cardiologist in a couple weeks. God is so cool!!

So when y'all see me waddling down the way- give a wave and a honk! lol!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...