Wednesday, March 22, 2017

How Is My Heart Handling Pregnancy?

I have probably written to y'all many times by now that (long story-short) while I am by the grace of God allowed by my cardiologist to be pregnant- it is quite a high risk. I am a blessed heart survivor who God allowed to physically be able to carry a baby with a lot of medical attention and care. And for myself- the high risk of being pregnant is that the strain pregnancy puts on a woman's heart, vessels, and body can be much more significant to my defective heart. It could/should make my pending pulmonary valve replacement surgery happen sooner than if I did not get pregnant as my heart is theoretically being "damaged" a bit as pregnancy puts it through the ringer. Pregnancy strains should enlarge my heart as well as weaken it. (It is already naturally enlarged due to the excessive blood volume in my right chambers-a result of my several defects.) This is all medical theology of what should/could quite likely happen.

Here are the facts for me so far:

Today, Eric and I went to the beautiful Greer Memorial Hospital as normal for my echocardiogram. We followed this up by walking to the next building to my cardiologist's office. Dr. Patel viewed the echo and we sat and chatted a bit. She told me the echo showed that my heart has NOT enlarged or weakened any!! No changes at all. I explained to her that I feel like my normal self! I am still running- though- not 3.1+ but, I walk at least a 5k a day and run a mile of that followed by a workout routine back at the house. 5 days a week. No swelling. I feel amazing. Dr. Patel said that my heart is as functional and strong as ever because I have continued my running and healthy lifestyle even through pregnancy and it makes me stronger and much more resilient. I am sooo happy and stress free! (Thank you, Eric!!)

She was very pleased to hear this news! However, she further explained despite how I feel and despite what the echo shows- there could be some things happening that I cannot feel nor will an echocardiogram reveal. It is possible my heart is having extra beats which would be bad. So she sent me home with a halter monitor to wear for 24 hours. I've worn many of these since I was a kid. I am glad they are no longer the size of cassette playing machines strapped to my waist!! She told me to do my run and walk and exercise while wearing it and then she will review to check for any extra unwanted heart beats. If I do in fact have extra heart beats- she will prescribe me a Beta Blocker that is safe for me and baby. I would take this until I delivered.

I hate medicine. I am a healthcare professional- I am passionate about healthcare, medical technology, science, research, and solutions. I do prefer to live a life without medication as I do currently. I prefer to live with a holistic, natural, non medicinal healthy lifestyle--however- I definitely understand the place God made for medicine and the science God created for us to have these drugs and things in the right crucial circumstances. So- God forbid it, please, that I do prove to have extra heart beats, I will take this Beta Blocker and I will smile to do anything that protects my body which is a vessel of life for Ellie- and I will praise God for the solution He created and provided!

We talked some more about delivery. I will most definitely decidedly now deliver the baby with an early epidural. I have explained in previous posts a C-section is not a safe option for me as a heart patient- And a natural birth is really risky. The best method for delivering Ellie is for me to carry her until my body starts the natural delivery process. Then I will be admitted with an epidural to relieve excess stress and pressure on my heart. It is possible--contingent on how I progress throughout the last 18.5 weeks I have left--that I may not push at all but instead be given the epidural and the medical staff will perform an "assisted delivery" in which the forceps and what not are used. I really pray this is unnecessary. I hope to just get the "juice" and push as they command and present a healthy, beautiful, baby Ellie to my husband!! More on this will be decided as pregnancy progresses.

In the meantime- Ellie has two appointments in the next two weeks. One is part 2 of her high risk anatomy scan. We will really thoroughly look at her heart specifically to be completely sure I did not pass on my defects or any others at which she is at high risk for.

God has truly truly blessed my life...since the beginning in 1990. Truly every inch of my life has been blessed by the hands of God and I continuously break down in happy grateful tears unable to comprehend what my sinful little heart did to deserve such blessings. Even in the "Struggles" and "hard-times" I am SOOO blessed! Loving God gives this amazing unreal life that just cannot be explained. I am so thankful for a healthy body, heart, pregnancy, and baby.

Please, those of you who truly pray as you say you are- pray for my heart: that it does not produce extra beats. Pray for my pregnancy and delivery: that assisted delivery is not necessary and the remaining 18.5 weeks will be safe and healthy. Pray for Ellie: that she will be healthy, love and fear God, and be strong! Pray for Eric: as he juggles working full time, engineering school, caring for me, and becoming a daddy! He is an amazing God given blessing and dream! He is so unreal- such a truly amazing husband!

Thank you dear friends!!
Love,
The Gladdens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heart Surgery - Update 2

  Time truly is an odd thing. Our time on Earth is short, even if we manage to live 100+ years. We can hardly fathom eternity and the length...